Grow is an Urban food garden initiative, based at Jubilee Community Church Centre in Observatory. Our goals are to:
- Renew and restore vacant land thus creating a picture of God’s work transforming and renewing people’s lives.
- Build our community via inclusive, voluntary work in the garden with people of diverse cultural and socio economic backgrounds
- Grow vegetables organically. Once harvested, vegetables are donated to those in need via existing ministries and the rest sold to improve the project’s sustainability and provide funds for job creation.
- Provide training which will equip people with skills to grow their own vegetables, improve employment options and increase food security.
We would like to continue to expand to additional sites so that more people benefit from GROW
How you could get involved:
- Volunteer. There is always plenty to do in the garden. You are welcome to visit us as an individual or as a group.
- Donate money, skills or materials. The income from vegetable sales does not cover our expenses so we do rely on donations.
- We are currently establishing a new garden in Langa, at iKhaya Labantu care centre, so are needing to get garden tools, water tanks, compost, wheelbarrow, plants etc
- We would appreciate help with establishing and managing our social media communication.
The GROW team can help you establish your own vegetable garden at home, so you can have the joy of growing your own food!
Purchase the lovely planter boxes made from recycled pallet wood. Contact Mervin via our email for details
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org